Thursday, August 19, 2021

Day 173, Thursday August 19, 2021

          

Monson, ME to Wilson Valley Lean-to campsite - 10.4 miles hiked today - 2089.0 total AT miles to date 

I was pleased to see I had a signal this evening and was able to send an update.  I don’t know how many more opportunities I’ll have in the coming days.

We got a late start this morning after a big breakfast at Shaws.  We were delivered back to the trail in the Hiker Bus, a vintage repurposed short school bus.  Quite an interesting ride.  Once at the trail, we headed out with a large pack of other thru hikers who were also on their last section.  

The terrain took us up and down, over rock ledges, fording two rivers, and past multiple ponds.  I had no idea that there were so many lakes and ponds in Maine.

We stopped for lunch at the Little Wilson falls, a scenic spot also enjoyed by several other hikers while we were there.  The terrain in the afternoon continued to take us up and down, and the heavy roots and high humidity made for slow going.  By the time we reached the shelter, fatigue and being sopping wet from sweat, had to pretty much determined that we’d go no further today.

Tomorrow we are shooting for 14 miles, but there are a few mountains to conquer, so that may be overly optimistic.

Until next time…

















1 comment:

Post Hike Day 6 - Thursday Sept 2, 2021

                  Home sweet home I’m writing this while sitting in my recliner in my climate controlled house, with an iced down drink, wea...