Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Appalachian Trail 2021


The purpose of this blog is to chronicle my anticipated thru hike of the Appalachian trail starting in Feb 2021.  Unless there are significant changes in my work situation, after 40 years of toiling, my tentative plan is to hang it up the end of January, and hit the trail later in Feb.  Right now, the plan is to leave from Amicalola State Park on the approach trail on Monday, Feb 23.  Joining me on this endeavor will be my son's father-in-law, a retired cop with lots of outdoors experience.

My trail name of Waymaker was a consensus name proscribed and approved by family and friends after several other less appropriate names were tried out.  Waymaker is a reference to Isaiah 43:19:

See, I am doing a new thing!
    Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
    and streams in the wasteland. 

One of my goals for this trip is to raise money for Family Promise of Hillsborough County, located in the greater Tampa, Fl area.  Still working on the specifics, but the initial thought is to gather pledges for mileage, i.e. 1¢ per mile would equate to $21.90 if I go the entire route.  A friend at Family Promise will chronicle my progress and update the pledge totals as I go.  A work in progress, so more to follow on this plan.

I've been honing my equipment for years, as well as doing work up hikes so that I'm prepared if this comes to fruition.  Most recently, I hiked the first 15 miles of the A.T. from Springer mountain to Gooch Mountain Shelter and back from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning.  Two overnights in relatively low temps (high 30s) to test the warmth factor.  Determined that I'd need to add a Thermolite Reactor lining to my sleeping bag for more warmth.  

Other adjustments after making this latest hike:  Leaving my Guitalele guitar behind (too cold and too tired end of day to play).  May add it back in later in the hike.  We'll see.  Otherwise, my base weight totals right at 22 lbs, with a max weight planned at 33 lbs with food and water added.  My current gear list:

Tyvek floor saver 
Mountain Mummy 35 Down Bag  
Thermolite Reactor Sleeping Bag Liner
Air Pillow 
Big Agnes Air Axl Pad 
Water Filter – Sawyer Squeeze 
Cnoc Water bags (2) 
Etekcity stove
Toak 700ml pot w/bag
Uco Camp Cup 
Pelzii Headlamp 
KBar Fork/Knife / long spoon
Ursus Ultrlite Bear Bag/dry bag/cord 
Rain Poncho
Gerber Dime Multi Tool
iPhone
Solar Charger / Carabiners 
Backup Mini Charger 
InReach Mini 
Duct Tape/Patch Kit 
Cathold Trowel Shovel 
Camp Shoes (Xero) 
First Aid Kit 
Floss 
Smart Water Bottles (2) 
Toiletries/Sunscreen/Toilet Paper –
Clothes (short, liners, shirt, socks, gloves, buff)
Puffy Jacket
Fleece Pullover 
Towel/clip 
Lighters (2 mini) 
Handi Wipes
Folding bowl 
Ear Buds 
Trail Journal and Pen 
Mask and Balaclava 
Mosquito Head Net 
Sunglasses          
Hand Sanitizer 
Charge Cords 
Bug Spray 
Folding Knife                                   
Sub Total – 352 oz (22 lbs) – (w/o food,water,fuel)




More to come....

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Bass, your bucket list sure has some hard to achieve goals on it!! I'll be paying attention and support you all the way! Be careful, bring bear and mosquito repellant and best of luck to you! David M.

    ReplyDelete

Post Hike Day 6 - Thursday Sept 2, 2021

                  Home sweet home I’m writing this while sitting in my recliner in my climate controlled house, with an iced down drink, wea...