Friday, August 13, 2021

Day 166, Thursday August 12, 2021

  

Reddington Stream Campsite to Spaulding Mountain Lean-to campsite - 10.6 miles hiked today - 1991.4 total AT miles to date 

Today was clear and sunny, promising to get hot (mid 80’s) by the afternoon. We topped off our water at the stream near our campsite, and headed out around 7.  First up was a steep climb up Saddleback Junior mountain and Poplar Ridge, with only(!) 3700 foot peaks.  I was struggling with both the steep ascent and the building heat, having to take 5 minute rest stops a couple of times an hour.  Finally cresting these first obstacles, I was afforded some great views.  After a brief break, I headed down and was able to catch the rest of the group in time for lunch next to a stream. 

After lunch (and another water fill up), we tackled the toughest climb of the day, Lone Mountain. Although not as high as some of the other peaks, the trail had taken us down into Overton gap (1550 ft), before starting the steep climb up and over Lone Mountain.  I struggled again, as my stamina seems to be waning the closer I get to the end.  Finally clearing the top in late afternoon, it started clouding up and thunder started to rumble.  Moving as quickly as safety allowed, I picked up my pace to attempt to reach the campsite before the rain.  I almost made it, but a few hundred yards short the sky opened up and I arrived soaking wet.  The others had beat me there, and were already mostly set.  I pitched my tent in the rain and then crawled in.  Much of my gear is now wet, but such are the breaks.  I hope to get to camp tomorrow early enough to set everything up to dry out.

Tomorrow is a big day, as we will pass the “200 miles to go” milestone, as well as the 2000 mile completed marker.  We plan to take a Nero on Saturday as we hike into Stratton for resupply, shower and laundry, as well as a hot meal.

Until next time…




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Hike Day 6 - Thursday Sept 2, 2021

                  Home sweet home I’m writing this while sitting in my recliner in my climate controlled house, with an iced down drink, wea...