Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Day 59, Tuesday April 27, 2021

  

Romans

Lambert’s Meadow Shelter campsite to Dalesville VA - 9.0 miles hiked today - 730.0 total AT miles to date.

Another early start today, as I was pressing to get into Dalesville to address my phone issues.  Similar terrain as yesterday, if not the sweeping views.  I was the first one on this section of the trail today, evidenced by the multiple webs I walked through as I made my way up and over each mountain and into town.  I did have a start as I rounded a bend and almost team into a deer.  It was standing in the middle of the trail with its back to me.  When I stopped, it turned around with a wide eyed look and bounded into the woods before I could snap a picture.  

The morning passed quickly and I reached the edge of town around 11, after crossing the railroad tracks on the edge of town.  Not far from the trail was the Super 8 motel, a hiker friendly spot, which I headed for.  Confirming availability, I booked Rick and I a room for two nights, planning to take a zero day tomorrow to allow him to have his foot checked and resupply (as well as taking a full day for recuperating).

After showering and laundry (plus a trip to McD’s for a burger), I headed over to the Verizon store.  Three hours later I walked out with a new iPhone 12 for only a few hundred dollars with trade in on my old phone.  I now have a phone that should be sufficient for all of my phone/photo/tracking app needs for the rest of the hike.  It’s a relief to know that I won’t be out on the trail somewhere without any access.

Returning to the motel around 5, Rick had arrived a short while earlier.  After he did his necessary duties, we headed over to a nearby Mexican restaurant for a scrumptious dinner.  Going to bed in a comfy bed with linens and air conditioning is a real treat.

Tomorrow will be our zero day for resupply and for Rick to check on his foot at the local walk in clinic.  We’ll see what they say.

Until next time…








No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Hike Day 6 - Thursday Sept 2, 2021

                  Home sweet home I’m writing this while sitting in my recliner in my climate controlled house, with an iced down drink, wea...