Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Day 60, Wednesday April 28, 2031



 

No Bible reading today 

Zero day in Dalesville.  No AT miles hiked, although 4 or 5 off trail miles hiked in town.

As planned, we spent the day in Dalesville addressing needs and giving our bodies a day of rest.  This morning we did a 1.5 mile round trip walk to Cracker Barrel for breakfast.  Definitely worth the hazardous roadside conditions for the country fried steak, eggs, grits, hash browns, and biscuits w/gravy.  

After returning to the motel, we headed down the road to the shoppinq center for resupply.  Stopping first at the Goodwill that was on the way, we left there without any new/gently used items.  From there, a stop at the nearby outfitter where I picked up a new compression strap for my tent.  My old one is likely sitting in a campsite somewhere miles back.

While I went to Kroger to stock up on 4 days of food, Rick headed over to the Urgent Care to have his foot (and knee) looked at.  After being examined, the doctor told him that the pain was likely a metatarsal issue, but that he was okay to keep hiking.  The doctor also examined his knee that had shown swelling in the past few days.  The prognosis was for him to ease off some, and not push as hard.  Rick will try to slow down some and not go as fast each day for the next week or so and see how he feels.

After securing my food, I headed back to the motel, stopping at a convenience store for a soda.  The Hunt Brothers rep was there handing out free pizza, so that was my lunch, along with a pint of ice cream I’d picked up at Kroger.  Rick returned to the motel shortly thereafter with his resupply.  

Then I got a call from Chris McCallister, who has been keeping track of the Family Promise pledges as I hike. He and his wife Janey were in the vicinity on vacation in West Virginia. They offered to take us to dinner, which we quickly accepted.  Picking us up at the motel, they graciously let us stop by Walmart to pick up some things unavailable at the grocery store.  From there, Chris treated us to dinner (Applebee’s - fried chicken salad).  Dropping us at the motel afterwards (with our profound thanks), they headed on back to their farm in West Virginia - 2.5 hours away.  I sent some additional winter gear home with them as well, taking my base weight down a couple more pounds.

Tomorrow I plan to get an early start, and put in 18 miles or so.  Next major town is Waynesborough, 135 miles away.  Minor resupply stops will be available in the interim, every 4 days give or take.  Plan is for significant daily mileage over the next week, but at a slower pace, meaning early starts and long days.  We’ll see how that works out.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Hike Day 6 - Thursday Sept 2, 2021

                  Home sweet home I’m writing this while sitting in my recliner in my climate controlled house, with an iced down drink, wea...