Friday, August 27, 2021

Day 179, Wednesday August 25, 2021

              

Rainbow Stream Lean-to campsite to Abol Bridge campsite - 15.0 miles hiked today - 2178.0 total AT miles to date

Today’s hike took us up and over the Rainbow Ledges and along gently undulating trail to the Abol Bridge campground. The Ledges afforded another view of Katahdin, this time a little closer. Coming down off of there, we finally reached the end of the 100 mile wilderness. My 7 day food supply was totally exhausted by the time we emerged onto Golden road and approached Abol Bridge. I had consumed my last PBJ for lunch, and ate my last few Tic Tacs as we approached the campsite. Crossing the Abol bridge we had our best view of Katahdin yet. After checking in and getting a site, I was able to do one last minor resupply at the camp store to carry me through the next two days.

After set up and dinner (ham sandwich from the camp store), I walked over to the the ranger station to check out the process for the following day. It turns out that only 12 thru hikers are permitted to stay at the base camp per day, first come first serve. After letting Pinot know, we agreed to leave extra early (5:15 am) to hopefully ensure one of the coveted spots.

Tomorrow will be our next to last day. 15.1 miles to go!!!

Until next time…





























No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Hike Day 6 - Thursday Sept 2, 2021

                  Home sweet home I’m writing this while sitting in my recliner in my climate controlled house, with an iced down drink, wea...