Friday, August 27, 2021

Day 178, Tuesday August 24, 2021

             

Potaywadjo Spring Lean-to campsite to Rainbow Stream Lean-to campsite - 18.4 miles hiked today  2163.0 AT miles to date

Today I caught my first sight of Mt. Katahdin, while at the top of Nesuntabunt mountain. Although partially covered by clouds, there was no denying the thrill of this first peek at the ultimate goal. While sitting at the crest, I was able to get a cell signal and called home. My wonderful wife bathed me in prayer and encouraged me to finish strong these last few days.

The day’s hike was a long one, although not too difficult. The one mountain we had to climb was a gradual incline and descent, with no serious scrambles required. We passed several lakes, and saw a lot of birds enjoying the sunny weather. It’s still hot and humid, but at least under the trees (in the green tunnel), it is bearable.

Tomorrow we will be heading to Abol Bridge, where we will register with the Baxter Park rangers for camping at the Birches the next day. The Birches are the base camp staging point for the following day’s scaling and ultimate summit of Katahdin. A few more days to the end.

Until next time…

























No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Hike Day 6 - Thursday Sept 2, 2021

                  Home sweet home I’m writing this while sitting in my recliner in my climate controlled house, with an iced down drink, wea...