Friday, August 27, 2021

Day 180, Thursday August 26, 2021

               

Abol Bridge campsite to the Birches base camp - 10 miles hiked today. 2188.0 .total AT miles to date

I’m sitting here in my tent at the Birches base camp, preparing for my final leg of the Appalachian Trail, Mt. Katahdin. Tomorrow at first light, the 12 of us here at camp will strike out to climb the last 5.1 miles to the top. The mood here is quiet and contemplative, as everyone is aware that this is the last night on the trail. Tomorrow will be a day for celebration,. This coming section is purported to be most technical, difficult, and steep portion of the entire trail. I know I’m up to the challenge, but am feeling the butterflies.

This morning, Pinot and I packed up our tents and headed to the ranger station. We arrived at 5:30, and were numbers 9 and 10. Eight others had been there since 4:30. The last two hikers arrived shortly thereafter, so we we fortunate to be there when we were. Once signed in and approved, we set off on the most gentle section of trail yet. Ten miles of pine needles, river walks and smooth trail. We arrived at the base camp by lunch time, got signed in and set up, and spent the balance of the day taking it easy.  

Tomorrow will be another early day as we have to get to the top and back down before dark. Tomorrow night I hope to be where I have cell coverage and can post my final trail blog.

Until tomorrow…































No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Hike Day 6 - Thursday Sept 2, 2021

                  Home sweet home I’m writing this while sitting in my recliner in my climate controlled house, with an iced down drink, wea...