Sunday, June 6, 2021

Day 99, Sunday, June 6, 2021

       

Jeremiah 

Round Head campsite to Fort Clinton Hikers Pavilion tent site - 21.6 miles hiked today - 1220.0 total AT miles hiked to date.

Today was a better hiking day.  Still thick with heat and humidity, but only a couple of significant climbs.  All day long, I was in the green canopy, with only a couple of peeks out of the forest until I reached Fort Clinton.  The trail was a tale of two terrains.  It would go from this gentle leaf covered path:

to this, a foot grinding, shoe ripping series of razor sharp rocks:

I did pass another milestone this morning as I reached the 1200 mile marker.  Down to triple digits remaining (973.1 miles to be exact).

I saw another deer today and was almost started out of my socks by another rattlesnake (third I’ve encountered on the trail).  I was so focused on the two feet of trail ahead, that the sharp rattling a foot to the left of the trail was totally unexpected. As I sidestepped the snake, his rattle intensified.  Keeping my distance, I took a couple of pictures and carefully moved on.  I could still hear the rattling from down the trail.



Finally entering Fort Clinton about 6:30, I stopped at the only restaurant in town and had a burger before heading on to the hikers pavilion to set up my tent.  Tomorrow I’ll be heading into Hamburg for a resupply. 

Until next time…











1 comment:

Post Hike Day 6 - Thursday Sept 2, 2021

                  Home sweet home I’m writing this while sitting in my recliner in my climate controlled house, with an iced down drink, wea...