Friday, June 4, 2021

Day 97, Friday June 4, 2021

     

Ecclesiastes / Song of Songs

Peter’s Mountain Shelter campsite to stealth site at Swatara Gap - 23.4 miles hiked today - 1184.0 total AT miles hiked to date.

Started out before 7 today, as the camp was up and moving around by daylight.  The terrain today was again relatively mild, with a few scrambles thrown in to keep us on our toes.  Crossed a few meadows and passed several streams as the day progressed, but no severe ups or downs.








The real challenge came later in the day when I encountered a beaver dam, causing severe flooding of the trail in that section.  It had apparently been an issue for a while, as they’d created alternative route around the section.  I decided to attempt the beaver dam crossing (in hindsight probably not the best idea).  I carefully climbed over the flooded section but still ended up layered in mud and almost losing a pole.  I made it through finally and hiked on to find my campsite.  I ended up hiking until 6pm, almost 12 hours of hiking today by the time I found a suitable spot to pitch my tent. I wearily set up camp, ate dinner, hung my bear bag and hit the sack.

Until next time…









No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Hike Day 6 - Thursday Sept 2, 2021

                  Home sweet home I’m writing this while sitting in my recliner in my climate controlled house, with an iced down drink, wea...