Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Day 95, Wednesday June 2, 2021

   

Psalms 58 - 150

Lisa’s Hostel to Cove Mountain Shelter campsite - 21.5 miles hiked today - 1145.6 total AT miles hiked to date.

Back on the trail today after a 5 day layoff, I was a little concerned that I’d be rusty.  I planned to hike 15 miles to the first shelter.  However, the morning’s hike was truly a walk in the park, traversing fields and meadows, following roads and straight paths through gently rolling hills, and offering nothing in the way of real obstacles.  Not many hikers on the trail, although I did see two deer and a rabbit.  I crossed several roads and highways, including I-76 and I-81.  I had hiked out of Boiling Springs at 7 am, and by lunchtime at 12:30, I’d reached my planned destination for the day.  Since it was so early, I decided to push on to the next shelter, a scant  7 miles further.

The afternoon’s hike could not have been more different. Steep climbs, multiple rock fields, and generally tricky trail conditions made for very slow going.  It took me five more hours to hike the 7 more miles to Cove Mountain shelter.  I did take the opportunity to photograph two small rocks as I placed them on the trail.  They had been handpicked by my youngest granddaughter Ellie, and hand painted by my two older granddaughters Lula and Lucy.  I was to place them on the AT.  I think I’ll continue to carry them and photograph them at various spots along the trail.  

By the time I got to the shelter, it was 6pm, so I set up my tent, ate dinner, and turned in early.  Tomorrow I will hike into Duncannon in the morning and add a few things to my food bag.

Until next time…

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Hike Day 6 - Thursday Sept 2, 2021

                  Home sweet home I’m writing this while sitting in my recliner in my climate controlled house, with an iced down drink, wea...