Sunday, June 20, 2021

Day 113, Sunday June 20, 2021

      F

Zero day in Middletown NY.  Still at mile 1383.5.

Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers out there, especially my dad, my son and son in law - all three great examples of what a father should be.

Well, I’ve decided on a course of action, taking into account my broken wrist and what continuing on will entail.  With the support of Anvil and Pinot, I will go back on the trail tomorrow for 2 more days, testing my ability to continue to hike basically one handed.  With Anvil’s aid, I have strapped up and covered my cast with water resistant wrapping, and tested the pack support with some adjusted positioning.  I’ve jettisoned a few more things, and my pack weight is now as light as it’s been this entire journey.  Anvil has offered to take some of the remaining weight for a few days as needed, but hopefully it won’t come to that. 

I will adjust my hike to bypass as much of the rock climbs as I can for at least the next few days, taking the ‘blue blaze’ bypass option where offered, and minimize the potential for further injury.  The plan is to hike 20 miles over the next two days into Fort Montgomery and then reassess.  If I can safely and efficiently hike those two days, I will continue on.  If it proves untenable, I’ll get off at that point and head home to heal.  If that happens, I would hopefully plan to come back and finish somehow yet this year.

All that said, today I got new shoes (Lone Peak Altra 5.0), as the old shoes definitely contributed to my fall, with the gaping hole in the front of the shoe. These new shoes are a vast improvement, with additional support, cushion, and grip.  I added easy release laces as a concession to my one handed abilities for the near term. I’m looking forward to testing them on the trail.



This morning, Anvil and I attended the New Life Worship Center church service across the street from the Days Inn we are staying at.  It was very interesting as it was an outdoor drive up service.  The deacon pulled a couple of folding chairs from the building and everyone else sat in their cars for the service.  We had a message on the prodigal son, and I was given a goody bag as a Father’s Day gift.  Very lively and uplifting service with cars honking in place of Amens.  We were warmly welcomed despite our being obvious outsiders (hikers without a car).

After church, Pinot’s husband Russell (who had surprised her by showing up last night) drove us to Walmart for a small resupply, to the shoe store and to lunch at a great Mexican place.

The afternoon was uneventful and restful in anticipation of hitting the trail again in the morning. To bed early tonight for a full nights sleep.

Until next time…


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Hike Day 6 - Thursday Sept 2, 2021

                  Home sweet home I’m writing this while sitting in my recliner in my climate controlled house, with an iced down drink, wea...