Sunday, May 2, 2021

Day 63, Saturday May 1, 2021





  

Galatians

Apple Orchard Mountain campsite to Matt’s Creek campsite - 15.0 miles hiked today - 786.0 total AT miles hiked to date.

I woke up this morning to find that the winds had died, but the temperature had dropped.  Here it is  the first of May, and my thermometer on my pack read 35 degrees.  I did not want to climb out of my warm sleeping bag, but I eventually did.  Packing up took a little longer than usual in the unexpectedly cold weather, but I was hiking again by 7:30.

As I crested Apple Orchard mountain shortly after leaving my campsite, I thought I probably should have been checking the news, at least on occasion, as it appeared that an alien spaceship was perched on the mountain crest.  Upon closer examination, I realized it was just a FAA weather tower.  Slightly disappointed, I continued on.  Not 10 minutes later I came to the semi-famous “Guillotine”, a precariously perched rock that the trail passed right underneath.  

Successfully negotiating the challenge, I continued on and the rest of the morning was uneventful, as I crossed the Blue Ridge Parkway yet again.  I passed over Thunder Hill and stopped at the overlook there.  I met Broke Back, a southbound section hiker from Montana.  His description of that part of the country was vivid, making me add it to my list of places I’d like to visit one day.  He graciously took a few pictures for me and we headed on our respective ways.

I stopped for lunch and a water refill (and privy visit) and continued on.  The afternoon hike was uneventful, although I did notice a slow evolution of the greenery along the trail, as the trees and surrounding shrubbery were definitely filing out and greening up as I descended from the ridge.  I got my first views of the James river as I continued my downward trek.  I finally reached the boundary for approved tent camping on this part of the trail, and set up my tent just south of the boundary.

Tomorrow I meet back up with Bryce for a quick resupply in Glasgow, and then a day hiking with him northward.  

Until next time… 







 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Hike Day 6 - Thursday Sept 2, 2021

                  Home sweet home I’m writing this while sitting in my recliner in my climate controlled house, with an iced down drink, wea...