Friday, April 2, 2021

Day 34, Friday April 2, 2021

Job 21 - 42

Uncle Johnny’s Hostel to campsite near the top of Unaka Mountain - 13.5 miles today - 357.6 total AT miles hiked to date.

Checked out of Uncle Johnny’s about 8:30 and hit the trail shortly thereafter.  It was clear, cold and sunny, with a temperature around 28.  Although it was very cold, we were dressed for the occasion, with multiple layers, gloves and buffs.  Our plan was to hike to a campsite designated on the Guthook app, 13.5 miles away.  We were aware that most of the day would be spent climbing.

The morning went by fast, as the ascents were moderate, and we made good time.  We were joined by a French Canadian woman who hiked with us most of the day.  By the time we stopped for lunch around 12:00, we’d already covered over 6 miles.  The afternoon wouldn’t be as accommodating, and included multiple steep climbs. In all, we climbed over 4000 feet of ascent today, with another 1600 feet or so to do in the first mile and a half tomorrow. From there we have some downhills for a while to recuperate before heading up again.

I came across a sign in one of the river crossings that identified it as a Eagle project.  I’ve seen at least 10 Eagle projects at various points along the trail.  Obviously the AT offers a lot of opportunities for Scouts to get projects completed.

We did get some Easter trail magic by guy who met us at the top of Beauty Spot, a bald that has road access and is popular for it’s scenic views.  He gave us a bag of Easter candy. By late afternoon we approached our destination campsite to find most of the suitable campsites were still covered by snow.  Rick elected to hike back down for 1/2 mile to a flat spot without snow.  I wasn’t backtracking, so I cleared a spot and set up my tent.

Once set, I crawled into my sleeping bag and ate a quick dinner, as the temperatures were dropping again. After eating I hung my bear bag and crawled back into my sleeping bag.  It’s supposed to drop down close to 20 tonight, so I’m  snug in my bag and staying in it til morning.  Right now I’m warm and comfortable and hope to stay that way all night.

Until next time...


 











No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Hike Day 6 - Thursday Sept 2, 2021

                  Home sweet home I’m writing this while sitting in my recliner in my climate controlled house, with an iced down drink, wea...