Thursday, April 1, 2021

Day 33, Thursday April 1, 2021



 Job 5 - 20

Zero day in Erwin - no miles hiked.

After listening to Job again today, It seems petty to complain about any obstacles I might face on this journey.

As anticipated, today was bitterly cold, with blowing snow on and off all day.  Several hikers struck out despite the conditions, planning to hike up the the next shelter at 4.3 miles from here.  They were planning to cram into the shelter to combat the mid teen temperatures.  We are content with spending another night in our cabin.

We took the shuttle into town this morning to visit the local outfitter and also to pick up a few more food items.  I bought a cheap closed foam sleeping pad, as a backup if my inflatable pad patch job gives out.  I don’t want to try to sleep without a barrier between me and the frozen ground.  Unfortunately, the outfitter didn’t have any lightweight tent stakes, as I’ve broken a couple trying to pound them into a hard packed ground. I’ll have to pick some up in the next town.

Spent the afternoon at the hostel, repacking everything yet again, and making sure I have all I need for the next seven days.  That’s the time it will take to hike to our next resupply.  The next section we hike has a 5800 ft ascent over 15 miles.  I’m not sure how long that will take, but the next several days will be slow going.  We got a heater from the office to heat up our little cabin, as it got cold in here last night.

Took the evening shuttle back to town for dinner at the local Mexican restaurant, which is next door to the Italian restaurant we ate at last night.  I thought it was good, but Rick says you can’t get real Mexican food as good as the that served in west Texas.

Back to the hostel for the night after dinner.  Heading out in the morning.







Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Hike Day 6 - Thursday Sept 2, 2021

                  Home sweet home I’m writing this while sitting in my recliner in my climate controlled house, with an iced down drink, wea...