Saturday, February 20, 2021

Last (??) Work up hike

With plans pushed back a week, I though it prudent to get in one more significant hike before leaving for the A.T.    I chose the Croom tract up near Leesburg and headed up there early this morning.


Arriving at Tucker Hill recreation area around 8am, I donned my fully loaded pack, weighing in at 37 lbs (24 lb base weight plus food, water, and fuel).  Setting off on the south C loop, it was 45 degrees as I left the parking lot.  Although a little brisk, I didn’t break out any gloves or a jacket, and was perfectly comfortable after about 10 minutes of hiking.

This trail is about as close to AT conditions I have in central Florida, with rolling hills and some relatively steep up and downs.  Today, I followed the combined C, B, and A loops for a total of 14.5 miles.  Per my Garmin tracker, I completed the 14.5 miles in 4 hours and 51 minutes at an average pace of just  over 20 minute miles.  This included two stops to talk with other hikers.  One of these was a guy who did his AT thruhike in 2003.  Fascinating insights and very encouraging comments.  


I saw one deer and what I think was a hawk, although I didn’t get close enough to be sure.  It was apparent that there had been a controlled burn recently, as must of the underbrush was blackened and the ground was relatively barren.  Still, the rolling hills and expansive views were beautiful.











As I returned to the parking lot, I felt pretty good, and have a renewed confidence in my preparation, stamina, and gear choices.  I believe I’m as dialed in as much as I can be.  I’ll continue to walk daily for the next week as opportunities avail themselves, and look forward to starting out 2/28 or 3/1.  More to follow once I start out.   

Stay tuned.
















1 comment:

Post Hike Day 6 - Thursday Sept 2, 2021

                  Home sweet home I’m writing this while sitting in my recliner in my climate controlled house, with an iced down drink, wea...