Sunday, June 27, 2021

Day 119, Saturday June 26, 2021

    

Ephesians 

Ten Mile River shelter campsite to Stewart Hollow Brook shelter campsite - 15.7 miles hiked today - 1477.2 total AT miles hiked to date.

Wow! Today was possibly the most difficult section of trail encountered to date, one armed or not.  I was not prepared to encounter the massive climbs, the constant steep downhills that followed each climb, and especially the 1/2 mile of cliff face that had to be negotiated to climb down off of the last mountain.  Thank God Anvil was there to spot me on the sections that I had to hang from my good arm while searching for a foot hold.  Not a lot of pictures of that section as most of my time was spent, you know, surviving. 

The day started out normally enough as we hiked into Bulls Bridge (and across the Bulls covered bridge) for a breakfast and minor resupply at a small store there.  Pinot was meeting an old friend, so she stayed behind as we started the climb up Schaghticoke Mountain.  The initial climb was about a mile and gained about 1200 feet.  It was only the first of several climbs today, but included some very steep sections.  Once over that, it was down to a river for water, and then up and down again over Indian Rocks, Mt. Algo, Skiff Mountain, and Calebs peak.  

Finally, we reached the final descent, a set of sheer rock faces that dropped about 400 feet in the space of about 1/4 mile.  This last part was the most difficult and dangerous section, so it took the longest to negotiate.  Finally down from there, it was another 2 mile walk along the Housatonic river to our campsite for the night.  I was beat by the time we arrived, more so than usual.  I was able to get my tent up, grab a quick bite and go to bed.

Tomorrow is a short 4 miles into Cornwall Bridge, where we plan to spend the night, laundry, shower and recuperate from this strenuous week.  I think the effort of hiking while my body is trying to push resources toward healing my wrist may be draining my stamina more than usual. A day off should help it catch up.

Until next time…














No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Hike Day 6 - Thursday Sept 2, 2021

                  Home sweet home I’m writing this while sitting in my recliner in my climate controlled house, with an iced down drink, wea...