Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Day 31, Tuesday March 30, 2021

 

Esther 1 - 10 ... for just such a time as this...

Bald mountain shelter to a stealth site on the hillside 1.8 miles outside of Erwin, TN. 15 miles hiked today - 342.3 AT miles hiked to date.

Another beautiful day for hiking. Clear and sunny with lots of sunshine and highs approaching 70.  Not too many steep climbs today as most of the day entailed coming down off of the high ridge line preparing to enter the next trail town, Erwin, Tennessee.

Today as I listened to my daily Bible reading, this time from the book of Ester, I was struck by the verse where Ester is told that she had been put in the position that she was in for “just such a time as this”.  While I have no illusion that it was God who prompted me to undertake this trek, I have no doubt that He is using me for His glory as I am on this walk in the woods. As is always the case when you allow Him to, He has given me multiple opportunities to share my faith in Christ on almost a daily basis.  From sharing my trip’s foundational scripture almost every time I give the meaning of my trail name (Isaiah 43:19), to talking about Family Promise, to discussions about mission trips, to sharing about the work of Samaritan’s Purse and the BGEA, to sharing what Centerpoint church is up to in my home community, the list goes on and on.  Some are receptive and enjoy talking along these lines, many are not.  Either way, I try to be faithful with what God puts on my heart every day.

After a full day of climbs and descents (more of the latter than the former fortunately), conversations with interesting people along the way (and there are a lot of interesting people on the trail), and natural beauty all around, we pulled up short of Erwin and set up camp for the night. Dinner was a couple of tuna on tortilla shell sandwiches, as the food bag is finally about empty.  We replenish in town tomorrow (I’m out of Snickers!).

The plan is to take a Nero tomorrow and a Zero on Thursday as the weather is about to turn ugly.  Wednesday is supposed to be torrential downpours turning into snow Thursday, and lows to be in the teens. We’ll be hunkered down in a hiker hostel cabin (Uncle Johnny’s) for the next two days until it’s safe to hike in Friday.  Laundry and showers to look forward to.  Fortunately the cost of a no frills hostel is less than half of a motel.

Until next time...







1 comment:

  1. These pics are awesome. I thank you so very much on behalf of the families we serve. Praying continous protection over you. May the joy of the Lord carry you day after day. Blessings, Edwina

    ReplyDelete

Post Hike Day 6 - Thursday Sept 2, 2021

                  Home sweet home I’m writing this while sitting in my recliner in my climate controlled house, with an iced down drink, wea...