Saturday, July 3, 2021

Day 125, Friday July 2, 2021

          

Hebrews

Great Barrington to North Mt Wilcox Shelter campsite - 14 miles hiked today - 1537.9 total AT miles hiked to date 

After a relaxing zero day yesterday I caught a shuttle back to the trail at 7 this morning, planning to do 17 miles. Unfortunately, the rain of the past two days hadn’t stopped like it was supposed to.  The morning hike was a thoroughly wet one and I was soaked to the bone in 20 minutes.  The first section took me through fields and meadows, which made the rain a little more bearable, but the rain made everything slick, slowing me down considerably. It had mostly stopped by lunchtime and I ate at a handy shelter.  After lunch, the mosquitoes came out in force and I broke out my head net for the first time.






The afternoon included some interesting scenery, as I passed several large ponds and had a few limited views from the ledges at the top of Beartop mountain.  Finally rolled into the shelter area around 6 pm, which was already overflowing with people.  I’m afraid that the AT “bubble” has caught up to me, as I’m passed daily by dozens of younger thru hikers, and the shelters and campsites fill up early.






Tomorrow the goal is 15 miles, due to the muddy trail conditions and slippery rocks.  Slow and steady as my wrist heals.

Until next time…



No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Hike Day 6 - Thursday Sept 2, 2021

                  Home sweet home I’m writing this while sitting in my recliner in my climate controlled house, with an iced down drink, wea...