Sunday, June 13, 2021

Day 105, Saturday June 12, 2021

            

Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah

Leroy Smith shelter campsite to Church of the Mountain hostel tent site - 20.2 miles hiked today - 1296.2 total AT miles hiked to date.

Rocks, rocks, rocks, rocks.  Today was a long, continual, foot chewing, fatigue inducing, demoralizing, trudge through every type of rock that Pennsylvania could throw at us.  The entire trail was strewn with razor sharp and protruding rocks, broken up by the occasional rock scramble, and not the fun/scary kind we’d had the day before.  My shoes had started to break down on the sides, and my toes were mashed and scraped all day. 




Some pluses from the day - trail angels had left gallon jugs of water out at strategic points, as water sources were scarce along this section.  Also had a few nice views along the ridge, and there were no severe climbs during the day.  I did see a woodpecker, but he flew away before I could snap a shot.  Anvil, who was hiking ahead of us ran into a mother bear with two cubs.  He waited until they moved on before continuing.  I didn’t see the bears.  All in all, not my favorite hiking day, but part of the process.  




We hiked all the way into Delaware Water Gap and tented behind the Presbyterian church, where they run the Church of the Mountain Hostel.  We had dinner at the local BBQ place and then dessert at the Deer Head Inn, where they had live jazz.  I had the strawberry rhubarb pie, which was delicious. 

Tomorrow will be a ZERO day as I work on rehabilitation of my chewed up feet.

Until next time…


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Hike Day 6 - Thursday Sept 2, 2021

                  Home sweet home I’m writing this while sitting in my recliner in my climate controlled house, with an iced down drink, wea...