Saturday, December 12, 2020

Boggy Creek Trail



 

Another workup hike today, this one a short one (7.3 miles) on the Boggy Creek trail at the Triple CreekNature Preserve in Riverview (Fl). Perfect day for hiking, with temps in the high 60’s and low humidity. Saw a deer right as I was starting out.  She was right next to the trail as I rounded a turn.  She stared at me for a couple of seconds and then turned and bounded into the woods, but in a casual manner - as if she had planned to go that way anyway, and my presence didn’t bother her at all.

I did a figure 8 loop, straying from the trail laid out in my All Trails app, to add to the 5 mile limit it offered.  The extended trail took me by a construction zone where a new neighborhood is going up.  It’s a little jarring to be hiking in the apparent wilderness, round a bend, and see workers putting up drywall in a new house.  I plodded on and soon was back in the woods.  

 The back half of the hike was through scrub forest that had recently been through an apparent controlled burn.  At least I hope it was controlled.  I stopped for a 5 minute break, as I wanted to test out my newly jury rigged Air Chair.  I had taken some trek pole footing baskets and added them to the 4 legs of the chair, in an attempt to eliminate the sinking issue I’d had on my AT test hike A few weeks ago.  They worked like a charm, so it appears I’ll be taking the chair with me on my trek after all.

On the last mile, I crossed a small creek.  Although I had plenty of water to finish the hike, I wanted to see how long it took me to do a filter/refill of my two Smart water bottles.  From initial stop, to getting the filter out, filling the bag, running through the filter, filling two bottles, and putting it all away, it took six minutes.  Probably can get that down to 4 or 5 with practice.

As an added treat, as I finished the hike and was loading my pack into my truck, a couple of cars pulled into the parking lot.  A young couple with a set of newborn twins got out, along with a photographer.  They were going to use the nature preserve as a backdrop for baby pictures. What a blessing to see this happy young family enjoying God’s creations, both of nature and in the faces of their newborn miracles.  God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Hike Day 6 - Thursday Sept 2, 2021

                  Home sweet home I’m writing this while sitting in my recliner in my climate controlled house, with an iced down drink, wea...